Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video (and using ARIA)

From: E.J. Zufelt <everett@zufelt.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 22:03:06 -0400
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
On 2011-05-11, at 8:26 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Is that really the case? IIUC, neither aria-label nor alt are
> conforming attributes on media elements and screen readers ignore
> them. A test with ChromeVox confirms this, though I cannot test any
> other screenreader on my mac.

I did a simple test of this:

<video controls aria-label="My video player">
</video>

Using VoiceOver on SL and Safari 5 the label wasn't read.

Using NVDA 2010.1 on FF 3.6 the label was read when tabbing to the player controls

Using JAWS 11 in Firefox 3.6 the label was read instead of the player controls, as AFAIK JAWS 11 doesn't support rendering the controls in the virtual buffer.

HTH,
Everett