Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video

On Fri, 06 May 2011 09:09:48 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Over the last weeks I've been putting together ideas about what
> requirements we have for alt technologies on videos that are either
> paused by default or not displayed because of text-only displays.
>

> My current state of mind is that we need to solve three use cases:
>
> 1. a brief description that will give the casual "tab"-passer-by an
> impression as to what the video is about to help them make a
> play/noplay decision
>
> 2. longer descriptions that give a bit more detail and describe, e.g.
> the poster and give a summary of the content; this is often text
> already available elsewhere on the page
>
> 3. a possibility to link a full transcription of the video to the
> video and provide it in the context menu
>
> With this in mind I have put together a proposal for attributes that
> satisfy these use cases.
>

> I've concretely suggested to introduce the following attributes on
> <video>:
>
> 1. To satisfy use case 1: @aria-label
>
> 2. To satisfy use case 2: @aria-describedby
>
> 3. To satisfy use case 3: a new attribute @transcription
>

> All the details of my proposal are at:
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Alt_Technologies
>
> This page also has several examples that show how the proposed
> attributes would be used.
>
> While my focus is on video, the same attributes can also be used on
> <audio>.

Case 1 and 2 seem sane and already supported, I have nothing to say about
those. Case 3 is interesting... there's certainly something to be said for
putting the transcript into the context menu and other UI together with
the controls for selecting between captions/subtitles and extra
audio/video tracks. However, I'm quite certain one wouldn't want to
navigate the page one is on to open the transcript, rather one would want
to open a separate window, perhaps overlapping the current one so that one
can simultaneously access both the video and the transcript. In some cases
it might be best to let the page author decide where the transcript should
be shown, so that we should have a JavaScript callback to open the
transcript. This might be overkill, but something to consider.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer