Re: Moving longdesc forward

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 14:45:08 +0200
To: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Cc: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Geoff Freed, Wed, 4 May 2011 08:28:23 -0400:

>> May be, w.r.t. 'structured host language', we could learn from the @src
>> definition and say that longdesc resources should be located inside
>> 'HTML and XML files with <html> as root element'.
>
> ===
> GF:
> I’d be hesitant to put this restriction place because in some cases
> it imposes an extra step on the user.  For example, if I want to use
> a plain-text document, or an accessible PDF, to deliver my longdesc,
> are you saying that I must first lead users to a structured document
> from which they select a link that *then* leads to the
> plain-text/PDF longdesc?

Would you agree with me if we made it a SHOULD?

To answer your question: Yes you would. OR you could paste the content
into HTML file and serve it as longdesc document. Or the longdesc
document could include a link to the PDF file, with an explanation
saying "See this link to PDF document with description, but note that
only first 3 pages are relevant."

Can we make it a MUST still?
--
Leif H Silli