W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > February 2011

[Minutes] Media Sub Team of the Accessibility Task Force - Feb 2., 2011

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:03:50 -0800 (PST)
To: "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <012f01cbc3f6$9f0ea7a0$dd2bf6e0$@edu>
The minutes from the 2 February 2011 Media Sub Team can be accessed as
hypertext from: 

http://www.w3.org/2011/02/02-html-a11y-minutes.html

...and as plain text following this announcement -- as usual, please
report any errors, clarifications, mis-attributions, and the like by
replying-to this announcement on-list

JF

*****

HTML-A11Y telecon
02 Feb 2011

See also: IRC log
Attendees

Present
Regrets
Chair
    Janina_Sajka
Scribe
    JF

Contents

    * Topics
         1. Identify Scribe
         2. Actions Review
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
         3. Time Tracks Feedback from Google
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Jan/0152.html
    * Summary of Action Items

<janina> agenda: this
Identify Scribe

<scribe> scribe: JF
Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open

<silvia> close Action-98

<trackbot> ACTION-98 Create a statement with geoff to forward need for
caption and description techniques for wcag closed

JF: re Action 98, posted draft to the list for CFC, and no feedback
received

should forward to the appropriate stake holders

<silvia> Action-88?

<trackbot> ACTION-88 -- Sean Hayes to review Media Fragment URI 1.0
http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-media-frags-20100624/ -- due 2010-11-24 --
OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/88

<silvia> Action-96?

<trackbot> ACTION-96 -- John Foliot to media Sub Team to revisit bug 11395
(Use media queries to select appropriate <track> elements) -- due
2011-01-06 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/96

Re: Action 88 - will leave as is, needs to go back to PF

<Sean> can you make the due date on 88 end of March

Issue 96 reassign to Eric Carlson

<silvia> close Action-97

<trackbot> ACTION-97 Follow up on bug #9673 closed

Issue 97 - to be closed

<silvia> Action-99?

<trackbot> ACTION-99 -- Janina Sajka to annotate 9452 with clear audio
discovery and selection, as well as independent control of multiple
playback tracks -- due 2011-01-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/99

Issue 99
Time Tracks Feedback from Google
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Jan/0152.html

Ad agenda item - overview of FCC status/situation

<Judy> http://www.fcc.gov/cib/dro/VPAAC/

Judy: VPAAC - Video Programming Accessibility Action Commitee

recommend to look at the Mission Statement (Word Doc:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-303943A1.doc)

meetings and actions with tight time-lines around video accessibility -
captioning and descriptive audio

some awareness of work that is happening at W3C

Janina: interested to understand what this applies to, penalties, etc.

Geoff: there will also be rules about amount of video description as well
as requirements for emergency information

they are also looking at getting television shows already captioned for
on-air broadcast, must also move to the web

this now involves SMPTE

and SMPTE TT will likey emerge as a recommendation from the committee

Janina: unless we find accessibility issues with this

this will potentially inovolve massive amounts of programming (TV shows)

including older content as well as future content

+q

<silvia> +q

Judy: can we get differences between SMPTE TT (which is a derivitive of
TTML)

adds the ability to add background images, as well as binary data

also some additional metadata content

JF: are broadcasters aware of the browser vendors will or wont support?

Sean: we can already support, doesn't require native support for this to
work. will likely wait to see how the market plays out

Silvia: SMPTE TT is a new format, how much content is currently available

Geoff: there is not yet a lot of implementation, but there is one major
support - UltraViolet - which is a DRM-like solution to view content from
the cloud

since SMPTE TT is based on TTML, there is potential for growth

Eric: is SMPTE a full profile subset of TTML?

Sean: yes

Judy: with this superset nature of SMPTE TT to what extent are the added
features - things that align with accessibility user requirements that
we've uncovered?

Sean: the addition of images was from a request from asian territories

they would rather not use actual fonts, and rather have images as more
'hand-drawn' character-sets

the binary data is mostly for commercial requirements, for set-top boxes,
etc.

not really for user-benefit, but rather operator-benefit

Janina: one of the other things coming from the FCC work is requirements
for devices being sold in the US market, there will be more of these types
of devices, and more regs to follow

<kenny_j> Need to drop off the call for another meeting. bye all.

Synopsis of questions re: time Tracks

Silvia: the track element allows us to associate external caption files,
sub-title files and other text files to videos

Judy: is there a mechanism that can discover those assets

+q

ERic: the track element is for things that have timing with them

so if the description has timing info thta needs to be displayed in sync
with the video, then it is appropriate to use track element

Sean: we've identified that there is no mechanism for labeling a
transcript as such - there is no semantic link-up at this time

<gfreed> geoff needs to go-- will read the minutes later this evening.

Judy: a case can be made that access to a transcript would serve certain
user needs for a11y

+q

Janina: we've identified that if there is timing data, that it should be
linked to the video, but even if a transcript has no timing it may need to
be programmatically associated to the video none-the-less

Judy: the order of presentation /positioning

that has been a problem in the past

if we are trying to support multple media formats - foolproof
discoverablility and sharability

discussion about discoverability versus mechanisms for delivery

ERic: discussion is not that there is disagreement on this, but how we
deliver it - in sync (with time)

it makes no sense to try and repurpose track and source for
non-time-aligned content

how does the content author package it

Judy: so do we need another element?

<silvia> s-

given that we are under a very tight timeline at this point?

eric: don't think we need a different/new element

echos silvia's observation thta at transcript would be avialable for all
users

+Q

<Judy> eric: you could just do the association with an attribute

<Judy> jf: that would take us down the same path as with longdesc

<Judy> ...we need to be able to package the transcript in some way that
makes it available to users, not just visible on screen

<silvia> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Multitrack_Media_API

Janina: bottom line is that we do not have a means of associating a
transcript to a the video resource

whether an element or an attribute

silvia are you on mute?

<janina> Silvia, we don't hear you

<Sean> try redialling. not hearing you

Judy: we should record everything we can in terms of what is still open

Silvia: we should have an email discussion on transcript

(JF will check for that bug and post to the list)

eric: when the durations are not the same - it's not an issue when they
are not the same, but rather when the internal timing information are not
the same

when segments of one don't exactly overlap segments of the other

there is no way of describing those associations

Silvia: on the multi-track API

summarize from discussions and an email thread from last fall - will
summarize into a wiki page for further discussion

we re-start a new mail thread

Janina, another isue is if the user wants to control the secondary content
- change font size, colors, adjust audio levels, etc.

Janina: on one hand, this is very specific to Operating Systems

but what we should be discussing is a systematic way for authors to create
content, and signify this to the browser
Received on Thursday, 3 February 2011 23:04:24 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:31 GMT