rules for text alternatives on images normatively defined in HTML5

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:47:42 +0100
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, WAI CG <w3c-wai-cg@w3.org>
Hi all.
The recent decision by the html wg [1] means that normative
requirements for the provision of text alternatives are defined in the
HTML5 specification.
These overrule the normative requirements in WCAG 2.0
While some of the requirements are in accordance with WCAG 2.0, other are not.

In particular I believe the following are problematic:
4.8.1.1.10 A key part of the content
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/embedded-content-1.html#a-key-part-of-the-content)
4.8.1.1.6 A graphical representation of some of the surrounding text
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/embedded-content-1.html#a-graphical-representation-of-some-of-the-surrounding-text)
4.8.1.1.3 A phrase or paragraph with an alternative graphical
representation: charts, diagrams, graphs, maps, illustrations
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/embedded-content-1.html#a-phrase-or-paragraph-with-an-alternative-graphical-representation:-charts-diagrams-graphs-maps-illustrations)

Is the definition of text alternative requirements in HTML5 OK with the WAI?

Can we add this as an agenda item to next weeks call?

I have filed a Formal objection on this decision as i believe it to be
seriously flawed.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0453.html

--
with regards