Re: longdesc (was Re: minutes: HTML Accessibility Task Force Weekly Call 2011-03-31 [draft])

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 17:02:28 -0700
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>

On Apr 5, 2011, at 2:14 PM, Laura Carlson wrote:

> Hi Steve and all,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
>> my understanding and thoughts:
>>
>> 1.the html task force seek to have an agreed position on longdesc in a
>> short time frame
>
> That would be good.
>
> I think we will have until sometime in May before the Chairs call for
> counter proposals. Sam, Paul or Maciej Is this correct? When is the
> soonest that the Chairs will call for Issue 30 counter proposals?

We will not call for counter-proposals until after Last Call, which would be late May at the earliest.  We are pleased with the constructive tenor of the conversation on public-html about this topic, and likely will not move to cut it off prematurely.

Once we post the call for counter-proposals, then there is still time to revise the original Change Proposal.

At the present time, I would recommend focus on discussion within the full WG rather than on locking down a finalized Change Proposal. That would increase the odds of addressing more objections, and gaining support for the pro-longdesc side of the issue beyond what was seen originally.

Regards,
Maciej