Re: longdesc (was Re: use of aria-hidden to provide a text description not visible on the page.)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:12:43 +0200
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Laura Carlson, Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:50:57 -0500:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> Thank you very much for your email. It is much food for thought and
> discussion.
>
>> If the WG is to provide a solution, they must be persuaded there is
>> a problem.
>
> I had hoped that the problem could be demonstrated via the newly
> presented sites [1] that use longdesc, especially the ones with no
> visual link text clutter. These sites are not hypothetical. They are
> real. They were not presented prior to the decision to drop longdesc.
> They are new information.

I think that there has appeared much info since the Decision. And I
think those pages you have collected are very useful in indeed. I hope
that someone could formulate at argumetn that takes in the full
picture: use cases, example in the wild, AT implementations and ARIA.
--
leif halvard silli