Re: longdesc (was Re: use of aria-hidden to provide a text description not visible on the page.)

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:50:57 -0500
To: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Cc: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Benjamin,

Thank you very much for your email. It is much food for thought and discussion.

> If the WG is to provide a solution, they must be persuaded there is a problem.

I had hoped that the problem could be demonstrated via the newly
presented sites [1] that use longdesc, especially the ones with no
visual link text clutter. These sites are not hypothetical. They are
real. They were not presented prior to the decision to drop longdesc.
They are new information.

[1] http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld.html