W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > November 2010

Minutes of the November 16 HTML Accessibility Bug-Triage teleconference

From: Martin Kliehm <martin.kliehm@namics.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:17:02 +0100
Message-ID: <4CE2BC8E.9090001@namics.com>
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2010/11/16-a11y-bugs-minutes.html

====

HTML Accessibility Bug-Triage
16 November 2010

Attendees

Present
     Marco_Ranon, Martin_Kliehm, Michael_Cooper
Regrets
     Laura_Carlson, Joshue_O_Connor
Chair
     Martin_Kliehm
Scribe
     MichaelC, kliehm


Contents

     * Topics
          1. Accessible fallback mechanisms for embedded content
          2. Assign homework for next week
     * Summary of Action Items


TOPIC: Accessible fallback mechanisms for embedded content

<MichaelC> Question of how to proceed

<MichaelC> think we should send analysis of issues and get discussion

<MichaelC> think we should file bugs ourselves when some form of 
consensus is clear

<MichaelC> I found some high-level issues in my review

<MichaelC> there are 3 types of fallbacks: 1) non-support of the HTML 
element; 2) non-support of the loaded content technology; 3) accessibility

<MichaelC> these are confounded and in practice if the browser supports 
the content technology it doesn't make the accessibility fallback available

<MichaelC> use of attribute for fallback (e.g., @alt) means it can't be 
internationalized, contain rich content

<Marco_Ranon> 
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/more-accessible-html5-video-player/

<MichaelC> <img> in HTML 4 had no ability to mark "this element needs no 
fallback", leading to heuristic uses of @alt which have interoperability 
problems but are deeply philosophically entrenched

<MichaelC> @title and @name have been used for accessibility fallbacks, 
but they have unspecified behavior in this scenario

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to talk about mixed fallback and other content

<MichaelC> I am also concerned that content models mix fallback elements 
with <param>, <track>, etc. that are relevant to the parent element

<MichaelC> prefer an explicit element, e.g., <fallback>, to contain the 
fallback content

<kliehm> Images and MathML have @alt and @alttext on the container 
element providing some kind of title or summary. Elements such as video, 
audio, SVG, source, and map has some kind of @alt on a child element, 
but nothing that serves as a title or summary.

<MichaelC> there is need to "label" elements e.g., <iframe> so user can 
decide whether to go into it

<MichaelC> the <video/@poster> plays a similar function, so perhaps 
there is a need for a "labelling alt" for that image, in addition to 
more complete fallback for the video itself

<kliehm> MR: The title has been used in the past on iframe and object 
for an accessible fallback.

<MichaelC> @title is used but narrows purpose of a general element

<MichaelC> Use cases: short text alternative, long text alternative, 
label, summary

<MichaelC> full accessible fallback

<MichaelC> advisory / tooltip

<MichaelC> MK: what about when embedded elements are nested in each other?

<MichaelC> could be either each element handles its own, or the 
outermost element takes care of it and the nested ones explicitly don't 
require

<MichaelC> ACTION: Michael to complete use cases table and email to bug 
triage sub-team [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/11/16-a11y-bugs-minutes.html#action01]


TOPIC: Assign homework for next week

<kliehm> Marco to address bugs 10660, 10967

<kliehm> Michael to address bugs 11199, 11207, 11238

<kliehm> Joshue to address 11239, 11240, 11241

<kliehm> Martin to address 11242, 11279

<kliehm> ACTION: Martin will browse through bugs tagged with a11yTF and 
ping people or escalate them to the TF. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/11/16-a11y-bugs-minutes.html#action02]


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Martin will browse through bugs tagged with a11yTF and 
ping people or escalate them to the TF. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/11/16-a11y-bugs-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Michael to complete use cases table and email to bug 
triage sub-team [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/11/16-a11y-bugs-minutes.html#action01]
Received on Tuesday, 16 November 2010 17:17:32 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:24 GMT