W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > November 2010

RE: [minutes] Media sub-team teleconference: Oct. 27, 2010

From: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:51:31 +0000
To: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, 'HTML Accessibility Task Force' <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <8DEFC0D8B72E054E97DC307774FE4B913305D25A@DB3EX14MBXC313.europe.corp.microsoft.com>
In fulfillment of my action item, attached are the proposed edits I believe are required to make the current HTML5 technology neutral wrt WebSRT.

Sean.

-----Original Message-----
From: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-a11y-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of John Foliot
Sent: 28 October 2010 01:00
To: 'HTML Accessibility Task Force'
Subject: [minutes] Media sub-team teleconference: Oct. 27, 2010

Please note that the minutes of today's teleconference can also be found
at:
http://www.w3.org/2010/10/27-html-a11y-minutes.html

***************************

HTML-A11Y telecon
27 Oct 2010

See also: IRC log
Attendees
Present
Janina, Sean_Hayes, silvia, Judy, John_Foliot, Frank_Olivier Regrets Chair Janina_Sajka Scribe John, John_Foliot, JF Contents Topics Identify Scribe Actions Review Status Updates & Brief Reports; User Reqs; Spec Text Modifications; Technical Requirements Prioritizations and Dependencies WCAG Mapping Must/Should/May Categorizations Summary of Action Items



<janina> agenda: this
Identify Scribe

<janina> scribe: John

<janina> scribe: John_Foliot

<JF> scribe: JF

<janina> scribe: jf
Actions Review

seems we have no more open action items effective today

although this might be due to problems with the W3C systems

systems tech guys have been dealing with larger system wide issues

Silvia: this might not be affecting us, thinks we are actually in good
shape
Status Updates & Brief Reports; User Reqs; Spec Text Modifications;

Janina: reminder about W3C fishing attemps of late

Judy: have checked the most recent TR draft, and that none of the language
we were concerned about is included

we will be using bugzilla to get the text cleaned up

to remove references to WebSRT from the Editor's Draft

Silvia: happy with the framework, but we need to remove references to
WebSRT

Judy: think it would be good to move quickly to get bugs filed

propose language thta would replace existing text with neutral language

did we resolve who would be filing actual bugs last week? (seems no)

Judy will then seek to have those bugs acted upon quickly

Silvia: Eric was going to try and approach hixie about removing the text
himself and make it more neutral

Not sure if hixie would be open to that

Sean: prepared to work on this, but unsure on how to proceed

Judy: would be good if we could offer proposed text

Silvia: I would go through the draft, find mentions of WebSRT, and see if
it can be reformulated/rewritten with more neutral language

submit those proposals to the mailing list, and then submit as proposed
changes

Issue with no existing W3c Editor's Draft

Sean: I can work on this perhaps next Monday

Judy looking to see if we can access a W3C Editor Draft

Janina: agree that we should work this via the list

mindful that some will be at TPAC, but likely most will not.

Judy: won't be available next week

<judy_> (...at least at the regular time)

Janina: there might be some 'unconference' meeting @ TPAC
... probably will be able to avail teleconference connectivity

watch IRC and lists Thrusday and Friday

Silvia: if the times can be posted, we could join in then

Janina: so we won't have a call next week, but rather try and work around
TPAC scheduling
Technical Requirements Prioritizations and Dependencies

meanwhile Sean can start on proposed edits and we can discuss via email
list

Janina: this is kind of a meta-topic
WCAG Mapping

Janina: have the mappings against WCAG complete?
Must/Should/May Categorizations

JF - believes both WCAG and UAAG mappings are complete

Janina: finished with her pass - essentially comfortable that we have it
right

JF: did janina make any changes?

Janina: silvia made them for Janina

Silvia: most of them, but not everything

there is a bit of issue on a few points, and we can keep the list fairly
dynamic and flexible

however generally quite happy with the technical mappings

only technologies that have cue format need to be checked when evaluating
time-text formats

Silvia now considering whether to make a separate document for WebSRT or
adding a new column on the existing TTML evaluation page

Silvia: if WG decides that this is an "official" W3C requirements what
happens to it after that

Frank: do we have a plan for prioritization of requirements?

Janina: this matrix was supposed to be able to help us get towards this
type of clarrity

Frank: concerned that some of these things will take a longer time to
figure out
... one of MS goals is to allow 3rd parties to extend the browser by
installing additions
... would love to see a list of core rquirements

Silvia: 2 things that need to be done (for multi-track issue)

how do we associate secondary files to the main file's timeline

(needs HTML markup)

we also need to define a JavaScript API to handle this scenario as well

however it should be fairly simple, as it will be based on the existing JS
API we have

it just needs to define what type of language formats, and how to turn on
and off

Judy: concerned about assuming that some things can't get into HTML5

this becomes a tricky discussion.

Silvia: once multi-track sync is figured out, the next big challenge will
likely be navigation by hierarchy

suspect that this will take a number of years to achieve

Judy: there is a commitment from the W3c to ensure that accessibility is
included in the HTML5 and done right

Silvia: just want to be realistic that between 0% and 100% there is
multiple points

Janina: wants to point out that the hierarchical navigation is critical,
and will need to be addressed

<janina>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Oct/0520.html

Silvia: would like to see us start engaging on the multi-track piece that
she started the discussion on last week.

<silvia> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Sub-Group#Bugs

JF to also go through bugzilla and ensure that all bugs are being watch by
us that affect us

Janina: recap - Sean and Silvia (and perhaps Eric) to file bugs to tweak
language in Editors draft

<scribe> ACTION: Sean and Silvia (and perhaps Eric) to file bugs to tweak
language in Editors draft [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/10/27-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-67 - And Silvia (and perhaps Eric) to file bugs
to tweak language in Editors draft [on Sean Hayes - due 2010-11-03].

<scribe> ACTION: John to ensure all relevant bugs are added to the wiki
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/27-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-68 - Ensure all relevant bugs are added to the
wiki [on John Foliot - due 2010-11-03].

<scribe> ACTION: Silvia to work up checklist table for WebSRT [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/10/27-html-a11y-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-69 - Work up checklist table for WebSRT [on
Silvia Pfeiffer - due 2010-11-03].

Janina: thanks everyone. we are making very good progress
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: John to ensure all relevant bugs are added to the wiki
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/27-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Sean and Silvia (and perhaps Eric) to file bugs to tweak
language in Editors draft [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/10/27-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Silvia to work up checklist table for WebSRT [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/10/27-html-a11y-minutes.html#action03]






Received on Tuesday, 2 November 2010 14:52:33 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:23 GMT