HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-32 Table-Summary

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 14:17:07 -0400
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
The following consensus recommendation of the HTML A11Y Task Force (with objections) is
hereby referred to the HTML Working Group pursuant to the Task Force
consensus procedures at:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/consensus-procedures.html

Recommendation: ISSUE-32 Table-Summary

RESOLUTION: The HTML-A11Y Task Force supports the change proposal at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Summary_Change_Proposal_Nov_18,_2009
to reinstate table summary as conforming and not +obsolete. We adopt
this recommendation even as we continue engineering work on possible
enhancements to table summary. However,+any enhancements we might
propose would only elaborate on this proposal and, most particularly,
would not remove the support +for author provided text as has been
present in HTML4. Thus this recommendation serves as our baseline of
table summary support.

Final Vote:

A Call for Consensus was issued via email:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010May/0053.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010May/0054.html

One objection was logged against this proposal:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010May/0055.html

Further comments and discussion in email on this resolution can be found
at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010May/0069.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010May/0065.html

The Task Force approved this resolution without further objection during
its regular teleconference on Thursday 6 May:
http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-html-a11y-minutes.html

Janina Sajka & Mike Smith, Task Force Co-Facilitators

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org