Re: Requirements for external text alternatives for audio/video

From: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:46:29 -0700
Cc: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

On Mar 24, 2010, at 9:29 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> In summary - I would suggest keeping the File Format requirement at
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_TextAssociations#File_Formats
> with supporting both, srt and dfxp (or ttml as Sean clarified).

  What DFXP profile are you suggesting we mandate?

  As Maciej noted [1], even the presentation profile requires XSL-FO. Does anyone actually think it is reasonable to require a UA to implement this substantial spec just to style captions?

eric

[1] - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Mar/0103.html