Re: resolution supporting navsubstree change proposal

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group

public-html-a11y-request@w3.org wrote on 03/16/2010 04:31:37 AM:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> Sent by: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org
>
> 03/16/2010 04:31 AM

> Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
>
> cc
>
> Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Michael Smith <mike@w3.org>,
> public-html-a11y@w3.org
>
> Subject
>
> Re: resolution supporting navsubstree change proposal
>

> On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:17 AM, Steven Faulkner wrote:
>
> > Hi maciej,
> >
> > >To reframe my earlier line of questioning - is it conforming to
> > specify navsubtree=false?
> >
> > yes, for example if there is a canvas based chart along with a html
> > table of the chart data:
> >
> > <canvas navsubtree="false"> your browser does not support the
> > graphical rendering of the data, browser x or y is required</canvas>

> > chart data
> > as in the current spec, the accessible alternative does not have to
> > be provided within the canvas. in the example above the accessible
> > alternative is provided outside of the canvas, the canvas content is
> > fallback.
>
> That seems like a reasonable design. My only suggestion would be to
> make the attribute a more typical HTML boolean attribute; for most of
> them, only presence or absence matters, not the value. Since navigable
> subtree is the default, perhaps the attribute should be "nonavsubtree"
> or "nonav" or something like that, and then it can just be a normal
> HTML5 boolean attribute. (Those names don't read so great, but I think
> mixing the false/true pattern with the present/absent pattern is
> confusing).

Maciej,

I support the nonav change. So, from a process issue the use of navsubtree
was agreed on by the html accessibility task force. I have made a minor
change from navsubtree to nonav to align the attribute with HTML 5 boolean
attributes. Unless there are objections from canvas accessibility API team
and html accessibility task force we will be submitting this as the detail
of the change proposal. It is essentially the same proposal adapted for
consistency with HTML 5 boolean attributes.

Steve is creating the change request proposal, with the justification, on
the wiki with a link to the actual change. Steve was out ill this weekend
and could not get to it. Steve will have that up by tomorrow morning.

(See attached file: canvaselement-issue74-feedback2.html)