W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > March 2010

minute: Canvas Accessibility SubGroup 2010-03-08 [draft]

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:29:39 +0000
To: public-canvas-api@w3.org, public-html-a11y@w3.org
Message-Id: <20100308202827.M18931@hicom.net>
aloha!

minutes from today's HTML Accessibility Task Force SubGroup on Canvas
Accessibility teleconference can be accessed as hypertext via:

as an IRC log, via:

http://www.w3.org/2010/03/08-html-a11y-irc

and as plain text, following my signature -- as usual, please log any 
corrections, clarifications, mis-attributions, and the like by 
replying-to this announcement on-list...

     _________________________________________________________________

                                   - DRAFT -

                 HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

08 Mar 2010

Agenda:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/0276.html

   See also: IRC log [http://www.w3.org/2010/03/08-html-a11y-irc]

Attendees

   Present
          Gregory_Rosmaita, Rich, Janina

   Regrets
          David_Bolter, Steve_Faulkner, CMN

   Chair
          Rich

   Scribe
          Gregory_Rosmaita

Contents

     * Topics
         1. News & Notes
         2. Image Map and ADom
         3. Progress on Caret Tracking
     * Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 08 March 2010

   <richardschwerdtfe> meeting: HTML Canvas Accessibility

   <richardschwerdtfe>
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/0276.html

   <scribe> scribe: Gregory_Rosmaita

   <scribe> scribenick: oedipus

News & Notes

   JS: may not be able to stay whole hour
   ... main concern -- chaals needs to do chaals' work -- we can be
   accomodating, but need to keep ball rolling

   <richardschwerdtfe> Proposals:

   <richardschwerdtfe>
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/0276.html

   <richardschwerdtfe>
   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/Map4NotAdom

Image Map and ADom

   <richardschwerdtfe>
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/att-0255/canvaselement-issue74-feedback1.html

   RS: don't think is a "versus" but how to pull together to include
   chaals

   JS: yes

   RS: in holding pattern; can try to pull together into single proposoal
   but going to take fair bit of work hadn't signed up to do

   JS: chaals needs to be involved, not all on Rich

   RS: can make recommendations; need to be pulled together; needs type
   of wording in ADom proposal for Imagemap proposal
   ... regular HTML maps to A11y API, not intuative what devs will do
   with CANVAS
   ... don't know how far will get with HTML WG to state need IMAP
   version 4.01 restored
   ... didn't make HTML WG call

   JS: CANVAS did not come up during call

   RS: in state of limbo with HTML WG

   JS: pushed in HTML WG call some time ago and had clarified that any
   a11y issues should be assigned to TF -- until TF reports back to HTML
   WG, not an issue for HTML WG

   <davidb> guys, my regrets, debugging something.

   JS: need separation of trackers
   ... Rich, you did report out, received feedback, but until TF votes is
   a TF and not HTML WG issue
   ... should try to do before CSUN; if chaals' can't contribute before
   CSUN, move on ADom -- consensus is not unanimity (sp?)
   ... see if can schedule time with CMN; he needs to do background work
   on proposals
   ... can remind CMN that waiting for his input on several ARIA issues,
   as well

   RS: clear to me based on Paul Cotton's comments, going back to HT ML
   4.01 imagemap is NOT an option
   ... HTML5 has whole bunch of additional elements to add to imagemap --
   drag'n'drop is only 1 -- may be others

Progress on Caret Tracking

   RS: SteveF took RichS proposal and put on wiki
   ... have details and actual proposal

   http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/12

   http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/19

   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/canvasaccessibility

   JS: hixie is not the gatekeeper
   ... is copyright claim in HTML WG docs

   RS: propsal for caret tracking -- next steps?
   ... review

   GJR: DBolter sent regrets

   RS: will send DBolter and FrankO to review canvas accessibility
   proposal -- caret browsing is "low-hanging fruit" ready to be plucked
   ... part of issue 74 -- do we take this as separate proposal to HTML
   WG?

   JS: take first to TF

   RS: and then...

   JS: does it stand on its own?

   RS: stands on own, but to solve entire Issue-74 needs navtree and
   imagemap combined
   ... separate document created by hixie for 2D canvas api
   ... can defect be leveraged against canvas when forked from main HTML
   draft
   ... try to get canvas change proposal ready; submit to TF once Canvas
   Caucus approves change; ask TF if want to make part of issue-74

   JS: can advance as partial fulfilment

   RS: will get PCotton help too
   ... DavidB and JamesC and FrankO will be asked to review; if changes,
   submit to SteveF AND RichS
   ... SXSW coming up then 2 weeks until CSUN

   JS: CSUN 22-27 March 2010

   RS: will send out note to WG and to CMN to see if can attend next week
   or delegate someone to do work
   ... know my approach works ok -- others may like to use an imagemap,
   but is a BIG change in my mind, based on what PaulC indicated and i
   expected
   ... ability to include DOM elements in imagemap removed for reason --
   probably sheer size

   JS: would be good if when written up, stands on its own, so can be
   rejected on own if comes to that

   RS: ok

   JS: what we agreed here, if imagemap controversial keep in separate
   proposal so don't have to rip out in case CMN or opera can't finish
   imagemap proposal -- that should be advanced on its own as another
   approach but requested change to imagemap may be a non-starter with
   HTML WG

   <scribe> meeting: HTML A11y TF Canvas SubGroup Teleconference

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________

 
Received on Monday, 8 March 2010 20:30:12 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:03 GMT