RE: Survey ready on Media Text Associations proposal

From: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:25:14 -0500
To: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>, Michael Smith <mike@w3.org>
CC: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>

From: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org [public-html-a11y-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Eric Carlson [eric.carlson@apple.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 12:36 PM
To: Michael Smith
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force
Subject: Re: Survey ready on Media Text Associations proposal

On Mar 2, 2010, at 10:48 PM, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

> A survey is ready on the "Media Text Associations" draft change
> proposal.
>
>  http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/text-associations/

I generally agree with this proposal, but would like to see the following changes before we submit it to the WG:

+ We should not mandate DFXP at this time. It has many features that will complicate implementation significantly which are not needed for this proposal.

GF:  For the record, I disagree for reasons previously discussed.  I think there are others that disagree as well.

> I think we should help define a DFXP profile that is more suitable for our needs.

GF:  We can, or we can start with http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/CR-ttaf1-dfxp-20100223/#profile-dfxp-presentation .

+ The 'enabled' attribute on a <track> in a <trackgroup> should be invalid, as the UA is responsible for selecting the most appropriate track from the alternates.

eric