Re: aside and figure elements

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 10:29:07 +0100, Laura Carlson
<laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another question, John, do you find the definitions of aside and
> figure too close in meaning? Should the definitions be changed? If so
> how? The definitions of the aside and figure sound almost identical,
> except that figure has a caption. Do you consider the overlapping
> definitions problematic? Developers will tend to confuse the two
> elements and use them incorrectly.

They're especially similar where figure has no caption.

I wrote to the WG on this in July last year
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-July/020710.html

Main difference, in such a case, seems to me to be that aside affects
document outline, as it's sectioning content, while figure doesn't.

The accessibility implications of this I leave to cleverer people that me
(=Foliot)

--
Hang loose and stay groovy,

Bruce Lawson