Re: aside and figure elements

Hi John,

(Re-adding HTMLWG as they may have ideas on the overlapping definition issue.)

> Are you asking the group this question, or is it being directed at me?

I value everyone's input but yours in particular. As you co-authored
the counter proposal, I am sure you have analyzed the spec on these
elements more than most in the group.

Thank you for your comments on the aside element. To sum it up you are
saying <aside> is okay as it is specified. Other specs will handle
accessibility details. Correct?

As soon as you able, I would really appreciate your answers to my
questions and assessment regarding the figure element, which seems
more problematic in itself than the aside element.

Another question, John, do you find the definitions of aside and
figure too close in meaning? Should the definitions be changed? If so
how? The definitions of the aside and figure sound almost identical,
except that figure has a caption. Do you consider the overlapping
definitions problematic? Developers will tend to confuse the two
elements and use them incorrectly. It will present a challenge for
educators to teach the difference. Many times it is not any given
feature that causes problems; it's having too many choices or
overlapping meanings, which adds complexity and leads to confusion.

> Laura, I don't want to seem like I'm ducking your questions, but tonight I
> have a Media sub-group survey that I need to get back to and lately the
> cycles I have available for HTML5 work needs to be focused in that area, so

Okay. I know far too well what you mean about time.

> I'm going to leave my thoughts as is for now.

Looking forward to your further analysis.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Laura

--