Re: Media--Technical Implications of Our User Requirements

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:28:47 +0200
To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:09:14 +0200, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 16:41 +0200, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>> >           + 2.6 Captioning
>> >
>> > Text content with the ability to contain hyperlinks, and semantic and
>> > style
>> > instructions.
>> >
>> > QUESTION: Are subtitles separate documents? Or are they combined with
>> > captions
>> > in a single document, in which case multiple documents may be present
>> > support subtitles and captions in various languages, e.g. EN, FR, DE,
>> > JP, etc.
>>
>> Given that hyperlinks don't exist in any mainstream captioning software
>> (that I know of), it can hardly be a requirement unless virtually all
>> existing software is insufficient.
>
> But youtube, for example, does have annotations with hyperlinks in them.
> They're not captions, but they're still timed text content that contain
> hyperlinks.

Hmm, that sounds interesting, do you have a link? I think I've seen gray
boxes, but can't remember where. For this to work it would be necessary to
have styling control over the caption text's layout box, not only the text
itself. Still, it could be worthwhile.

>> > volume (for each available audio track)
>>
>> .volume
>
> Is there a need to have simultaneous playing of audio tracks? If
> not, .volume is good enough indeed.

Oh right, I didn't consider that. The implementation burden of playing
multiple tracks in parallel is considerable, I might note.

If there's a great example of the super-accessible media player software
that one could look at to get an idea how these things are going to work
in practice, that would be great.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer