Re: Media--Technical Implications of Our User Requirements

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:09:14 -0400
To: Philip J├Ągenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Cc: public-html-a11y@w3.org
On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 16:41 +0200, Philip J├Ągenstedt wrote:
> >           + 2.6 Captioning
> >
> > Text content with the ability to contain hyperlinks, and semantic and
> > style
> > instructions.
> >
> > QUESTION: Are subtitles separate documents? Or are they combined with
> > captions
> > in a single document, in which case multiple documents may be present to
> > support subtitles and captions in various languages, e.g. EN, FR, DE,
> > JP, etc.
>
> Given that hyperlinks don't exist in any mainstream captioning software
> (that I know of), it can hardly be a requirement unless virtually all
> existing software is insufficient.

But youtube, for example, does have annotations with hyperlinks in them.
They're not captions, but they're still timed text content that contain
hyperlinks.

> >          + 3.1 Access to interactive controls / menus
> >
> > An API providing access to:
> >
> > Stop/Start
> > Pause
>
> We have play() and pause(), but no stop() because it's almost the same
> thing as pause().

stop is indeed { pause(); currentTime = 0; }

> > Fast Forward and Rewind (time based)
> > time-scale modification control
>
> .playbackRate
>
> > volume (for each available audio track)
>
> .volume

Is there a need to have simultaneous playing of audio tracks? If
not, .volume is good enough indeed.

Philippe