Re: Please vote on the canvas accessibility proposal

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:50:26 +0100
To: "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, public-canvas-api@w3.org, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:38:13 +0100, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually am starting to regard this as an educational problem. We
> need to create a truckload of examples of different types of <canvas>
> use where the canvas has been made accessible. Web developers use such
> examples as templates for their own code. Honestly, that will do more
> to make more <canvas> elements accessible than the introduction of an
> element that lets them get away with a get-out-of-jail-free card.

I've been trying to keep up with the emails about this while travelling
as, imo, this is the hardest html5 accessibility problem to solve.

I think Silvia is exactly right here. We know, for example, that the alt
attribute on images (and accesskey to facilitate keyboard access) haven't
let to a renaiassance of accessible web sites. It's about education.
(Although I do support imagemap additions to canvas)

bruce

Hang loose and stay groovy,

Bruce Lawson
Web Evangelist