Re: Please vote on the canvas accessibility proposal

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> >All the other cases I can think of -- braille users with no vision at
> >all, speech synth users with no vision at all, text-mode users, etc --
> >the statement that there is no canvas support is actually pretty
> >accurate, though not especially kind. It'd probably be better in these
> >cases to actually let the user know that they are missing critical
> >functionality than to silently say nothing.
>
> 1. how do they know that it is critical content?
> 2. how do they know what canvas support means? how many people who use a
> browser (many peopel don't even know what a browser it) now or will in the
> future know what it means?
> 3. If they are using firefox for example, they ARE using a browser that
> supports canvas.
> 4. there is no indication that the element is missing apart from the text
> that will be encountered inline along with any other text on the page, it
> will make no sense.

Sure. That's why it's non-conforming.

But it's better to say _something_ in this case than nothing.

(It's similar to the "your browser doesn't support framesets". Who knew
what a frameset was? Users quickly learnt that that was code for "this
site sucks" and they went elsewhere.)