Re: Please vote on the canvas accessibility proposal

From: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:37:17 +0000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: public-canvas-api@w3.org, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
hi Ian,
>But it's better to say _something_ in this case than nothing.

So its beter to say something that offers no meaningful information to some
users, sorry i disagree.

why in this case, but not others?

Shouldn't then every non conforming piece of content be flagged to users so
they can understand how much a site sucks?
stevef
On 25 February 2010 11:30, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Steven Faulkner wrote:
> >
> > >All the other cases I can think of -- braille users with no vision at
> > >all, speech synth users with no vision at all, text-mode users, etc --
> > >the statement that there is no canvas support is actually pretty
> > >accurate, though not especially kind. It'd probably be better in these
> > >cases to actually let the user know that they are missing critical
> > >functionality than to silently say nothing.
> >
> > 1. how do they know that it is critical content?
> > 2. how do they know what canvas support means? how many people who use a
> > browser (many peopel don't even know what a browser it) now or will in
> the
> > future know what it means?
> > 3. If they are using firefox for example, they ARE using a browser that
> > supports canvas.
> > 4. there is no indication that the element is missing apart from the text
> > that will be encountered inline along with any other text on the page, it
> > will make no sense.
>
> Sure. That's why it's non-conforming.
>
> But it's better to say _something_ in this case than nothing.
>
> (It's similar to the "your browser doesn't support framesets". Who knew
> what a frameset was? Users quickly learnt that that was code for "this
> site sucks" and they went elsewhere.)
>
> --
>  Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL

with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe

www.paciellogroup.com | www.wat-c.org