RE: [media] Moving forward with captions / subtitles

From: David Singer [singer@apple.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:09 PM
To: Silvia Pfeiffer
Cc: Geoff Freed; Philip Jägenstedt; Eric Carlson; HTML Accessibility Task Force
Subject: Re: [media] Moving forward with captions / subtitles

On Feb 17, 2010, at 15:57 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Very happy to harmonise those namings. Please go ahead and make those
> changes to the wiki page
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_TextAssociations . We should
> all own it. :-)

great!  textaudesc is a textual form of an audio description of video, is my best guess.  we had a great demo at the f2f showing how well that can work.

geoff -- what are kinesic and suppressed text forms?

GF:  role=kinesic was our (timed-text working group's) roles for facial/body/non-verbal description-- in other words, audio descriptions.  i can't remember why the chair wanted to use kinesic rather than audiodesc or something similar.  (i'd rather *not* conform to this particular usage, although i do like the idea of expanding our vocabulary...)  role=suppressed was, if i remember correctly, used for text other than expletives that were not displayed for whatever reason.  expletives have their own role.

David Singer