Re: [media] Moving forward with captions / subtitles

From: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:31:48 -0500
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On 2/17/10 8:18 AM, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I don't know if you're intending to capitalize the role values, but I think we should keep them lowercase (as I've done above) to conform with other markup languages.  Is there any reason to use uppercase?

I used to have a scheme that included only three-character words and
capitalised, but you will see in the wiki
(http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_TextAssociations) that the
current proposal stands at: "caption", "subtitle", "textaudesc",
"karaoke", "chapters", "tickertext", "lyrics" as values for role.
Feedback encouraged!

GF:  Just by way of information, there's a list of roles defined in DFXP/TTM at http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#metadata-attribute-role .  I'm not sure about "textaudesc" as a role because it isn't very clear.  Despite its length, how about using textaudiodesc instead?  This is more descriptive and also brings it into line with existing nomenclature, such as SMIL's systemAudioDesc.