Re: [media] Moving forward with captions / subtitles

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org> wrote:

> GF:
> I think so.  I can live with this.  So, if I wanted to allow CC, TAD and two SUBs to be simultaneously active (at the user's discretion, of course), I'd move them out of <trackgroup>:
>
> <video src="video.ogv">
>   <track src="cc.en.srt" srclang="en" role="CC" active>
>   <track src="tad.en.srt" srclang="en" role="TAD">
>   <track src="subs.de.srt" srclang="de" role="sub">
>   <track src="subs.sv.srt" srclang="sv" sole="sub">
>   <trackgroup role="SUB">
>       <track src="subs.jp.srt" srclang="jp">
>       <track src="subs.it.srt" srclang="it">
>   </trackgroup>
> </video>
>
> Here, only Japanese or Italian would be active by themselves; all others *could* be running at the same time.

Yes. And they could be in parallel to either japanese or italian.

> Also, I don't know if you're intending to capitalize the role values, but I think we should keep them lowercase (as I've done above) to conform with other markup languages.  Is there any reason to use uppercase?

I used to have a scheme that included only three-character words and
capitalised, but you will see in the wiki
(http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_TextAssociations) that the
current proposal stands at: "caption", "subtitle", "textaudesc",
"karaoke", "chapters", "tickertext", "lyrics" as values for role.
Feedback encouraged!