Re: role=presentation must not be applied to focusable elements

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:29:16 -0600
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>, Marco Zehe <marco.zehe@googlemail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>

Hi Steve,

Being pragmatic, we are not going to be able to validate a document based
on what is focusable because due to support for tabindex="-1". This is
simply something the browser needs to handle in their API mapping guide.
That is how we addressed this in the ARIA implementation guide.

So, I don't think a bug needs to be generated. The ARIA spec. is clear. We
absolutely need to create a normative implementation guide for HTML 5 and
ARIA. It will include things like this.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group