Re: Media Gaps Document--36 Hour Consensus Call

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 4:56 PM, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Eric Carlson wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 15, 2010, at 7:13 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> >
>> > I think "widely used" was a fair assessment for SRT. All professional
>> > entities that I've known that use other formats are usually also
>> > capable of using SRT because it's so simple. Just saying "is
>> > implemented in some sectors of the Web-development community" is
>> > unfair because there are many professional entities that use it, too.
>> > They make no big fuss about it, but they support it. SRT support is
>> > more commonly found than TTML and I would therefore object to any
>> > representation that tries to imply the opposite.
>>
>>  I agree! SRT is one of the formats that YouTube recommends people use
>> when uploading captions
>> that are not already formatted [1]:
>>
>> If you do not have formatted caption data, such as a transcript that
> does
>> not have timing data, we recommend using SubRip (*.SRT)
> or SubViewer (*.SUB)
>> for generating formatted captions.
>
> Although I have complained to the HTML WG Chairs in the past about the use
> of vague metrics when it comes to measurement, I think that here 'widely
> used' does represent a fairly accurate assessment of SRT's usage. It's
> usage in the fan-sub community for sub-titling is also well known,
> although getting a handle on quantity metrics is difficult. Unless there
> is strong push-back I believe we are best served by retaining that phrase
> here.
>
> My $0.02 Canadian
>
> JF

While it's only indicative, a Google search for filetype:srt provides
264,000 results while filetype:ttml provides 713 results.

Neither of these numbers mean much because the majority of these files
will not live on the 'net. But they are indicative and quantitative.