RE: Media Gaps Document--36 Hour Consensus Call

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:56:52 -0800 (PST)
To: "'Eric Carlson'" <eric.carlson@apple.com>, "'Geoff Freed'" <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Cc: "'Sean Hayes'" <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, "'Silvia Pfeiffer'" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "'Frank Olivier'" <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Eric Carlson wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2010, at 7:13 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > I think "widely used" was a fair assessment for SRT. All professional
> > entities that I've known that use other formats are usually also
> > capable of using SRT because it's so simple. Just saying "is
> > implemented in some sectors of the Web-development community" is
> > unfair because there are many professional entities that use it, too.
> > They make no big fuss about it, but they support it. SRT support is
> > more commonly found than TTML and I would therefore object to any
> > representation that tries to imply the opposite.
>
>  I agree! SRT is one of the formats that YouTube recommends people use
> when uploading captions
> that are not already formatted [1]:
>
> If you do not have formatted caption data, such as a transcript that
does
> not have timing data, we recommend using SubRip (*.SRT)
or SubViewer (*.SUB)
> for generating formatted captions.

Although I have complained to the HTML WG Chairs in the past about the use
of vague metrics when it comes to measurement, I think that here 'widely
used' does represent a fairly accurate assessment of SRT's usage. It's
usage in the fan-sub community for sub-titling is also well known,
although getting a handle on quantity metrics is difficult. Unless there
is strong push-back I believe we are best served by retaining that phrase
here.

My $0.02 Canadian

JF