W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > December 2010

Minutes from Media Subteam Teleconference on 8 December

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:41:52 -0500
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20101208234152.GE3307@sonata.rednote.net>
Text minutes of today's HTML-A11y Task Force Media Subteam
teleconference are provided below. HTML is available at:

http://www.w3.org/2010/12/08-html-a11y-minutes.html

   W3C

                                                           - DRAFT -

                                                       HTML-A11Y telecon

08 Dec 2010

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Janina, Judy, [Microsoft], Eric_Carlson, Plh, John_Foliot

   Regrets
   Chair
          John_Foliot

   Scribe
          janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Identify Scribe
         2. Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
         3. Candidate Formats Report http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/TextFormat_Pros_Cons_Overview#Summary_o
         4. Poster Issue http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Dec/0054.html
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <scribe> agenda: this

Identify Scribe

   <scribe> scribe: janina

Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open

   <JF> hello

   we're here

Candidate Formats Report http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/TextFormat_Pros_Cons_Overview#Summary_o

   jf: Concerned whether concerns expressed in email have been captured in this doc
   ... Seems Sean's changes are there
   ... Does seem there were changes made
   ... Seems Sean, Silvia, and Geoff have edited this doc

   discussion whether correct characterization of ttml profiling is captured in the doc

   ec: fairly confident that current wording reflect's Sean's view
   ... Strongly believe Sean's view is that the basic profile contains all we need.

   jb: Aren't most formats tricky to author? Is WebSRT easy to author?

   ec: Yes, easy

   jf: Feel authoring by hand is a red herring
   ... Good tools are available.

   ec: There are strong opinions to the contrary as well, though. Just pointing out that people strongly diverge on this.

   jf: Any reason not to move this forward with the proviso that it's still open to additional input?

   jb: So, we know that Sean, Silvia, and Geoff have edited the doc, and have met their obligations to get this done
   ... Only remaining concern is that we have email saying Paul Cotton would join the call to speak to this. Perhaps he
   will still come.
   ... Does anyone object to moving this forward?

   no objection heard

   pc: Nothing to share on this doc.

   jf: Shall we forward this doc?

   <JF> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/TextFormat_Pros_Cons_Overview

   <Judy> +1

   No objections. We'll forward this on.

   Janina will forwrd.

Poster Issue http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Dec/0054.html

   ec: Spec asks poster to be shown until media is available
   ... spec doesn't mandate behavior -- webkit currently shows first frame of video whether or not autoplay is on
   ... I don't understand why page author should usedifferent ml for external poster vs first frame of video

   jf: first frame of video is direct relation to video

   ec: absolutely not--anything can go there
   ... why should there be different ml based on whether the poster is embedded?

   js: asks for confirmation

   ec: yes, whether external or first frame of video, ml should be the same. this is crucial

   jb: we could use zindex

   ec: but that's a different situation

   jf: but that's what authors will do
   ... we can say that's not the intent, but they will because they can
   ... my concern is that poster will be misunderstood

   ec: so how do you ml? where it's the poster image that has nothing to do with the rest of the video?

   jf: alt is the text on screen
   ... if there's confusion among people very close to this now, how will authors be less so?
   ... suggest either summary or aria-describedby most suitable

   ec: excellent idea

   jf: so that alt on video is unsupported ...
   ... so that we have all kinds of things inside the video elements -- tracks, poster etc.
   ... a poster element s child element of video

   <paulc> I have to go to another meeting.

   Thanks, Paul

   <paulc> My apologies for arriving late and leaving early.

   jf: all the supporting bits of the presentation are within the video tag

   ec: terrible idea -- seems we won't agree

   jf: it's self explanatory

   jb: are there other opinions on this?
   ... it's certainly important to understand the user needs and then to line engineering up with that

   ec: john, do you think having different ml would not be confusing?

   No

   jf: so video should take alt?

   ec: no
   ... only that textual description of the element should be there however the image is rendered--whether the image is
   embedded or a separate file

   jf: we need to tell authors that first frame is treated the same way as an external jpg or png

   ec: not an image element

   jf: but an image file

   ec: describing the poster isn't enough, we need the video described too

   jf: don't know how to answer this any further at this point ...

   ec: poster as first frame will be very common

   jf: don't think that's the only scenario

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
    $Date: 2010/12/08 23:36:38 $
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found Scribe: janina


Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Wednesday, 8 December 2010 23:42:39 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:27 GMT