Re: Notice of impending Formal Objection to Issue 30 Decision (@longdesc)

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:40:59 +0100
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: Aurelien Levy <aurelien.levy@free.fr>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
aloha, sam!

just a note to you and the other chairs to ask why you don't give the
credence to WCAG that you would to other Technical Recommendations?

you wrote:

QUOTE
> The existence of these guidelines (standards, laws, etc). that
> you and others cited is a valid argument.  To my knowledge, no
> one is contesting that these guidelines exist.  Some have argued
> that these have had little impact.  None of the proposals or
> objections clearly established that these guidelines had an impact.
UNQUOTE

WCAG 2.0 is a W3C recommendation, not a nebulous guideline -- are the
chairs saying that Technical Recommendations that come from the WAI
domain don't carry the same weight as any other w3c-produced Technical
Recommendation?

gregory.
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net