Re: text-format discussion from today's call

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 02:34:19 +0000 (UTC)
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
cc: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>

(This is presumably slightly off-topic, for which I apologise. I've set
follow-ups to the WHATWG list.)

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> > However I've looked at what Ian is up to recently, and I think that
> > TTML could map fairly well into his evolving architecture, so all we
> > need to make sure is that he doesn't explicitly rule it out.
>
> I also would prefer to keep the <track> platform open to any file
> format.

The <track> element as specced in the WHATWG HTML spec is intended to be
format-agnostic. If there's anything that implies otherwise, please send
feedback to the WHATWG list. (There may already be such feedback, in which
case I will correct the problem in a few weeks when I get to that mail;
right now I'm going through mail from around April.)