Re: text-format discussion from today's call

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com> wrote:

> “WebSRT by the WHATWG is already capable of supporting almost all of TTML,
> so I am not worried about this.”
>
>  I don’t think this is true. WebSRT doesn’t for example doesn’t support
> arbitrary positioning of multiple captions in the video rectangle at the
> same time.  TTML is a superset of WebSRT in terms of functionality.

It actually does. If you read up on
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/rendering.html#timed-tracks-0,
it clearly deals with multiple captions at the same time and WebSRT
allows
for such.

> However I’ve looked at what Ian is up to recently, and I think that TTML
> could map fairly well into his evolving architecture, so all we need to make
> sure is that he doesn’t explicitly rule it out.

I also would prefer to keep the <track> platform open to any file format.
Though I do believe we need a baseline format that all browsers implement.
What happens on top of that can be flexible.

> He has special cased a bunch of stuff because of his insistence that WebSRT
> is all that is needed, but I think that might be straightened out, if it
> ever gets proposed back into the HTML process, and assuming that he is open
> to technical feedback.

I'm trying to give technical feedback now also.