Re: CFC re ISSUE-31 Missing Alt

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:36:57 -0500
To: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Cc: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Matt Morgan-May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
Hi Sean,

> I guess a browser or AT would be at liberty to scour the image
> metadata as much as it would be to apply a crowdsourced definition, or
> both, since the AT knows that the author didn’t apply the alt, it can
> inform the user as to the potential deficiency in the located text(s).

I tried to add this to the "Outcomes of Creating a Missing Attribute" section:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Lcarlson/ImgElement#Outcomes_of_Creating_a_Missing_Attribute

Any ideas for improvement?

It is also to be noted that the missing attribute is optional in this
Change Proposal. WAI CG said that they would not oppose it. Check the
"Addressing Business Needs" section:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Lcarlson/ImgElement#Addressing_Business_Needs

Thanks.