Re: CFC re ISSUE-31 Missing Alt

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:46:26 -0500
To: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Cc: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Matt Morgan-May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
Hi Sean,

> I tried to add this to the "Outcomes of Creating a Missing Attribute" section:

I tweaked this a bit more [1]. It now reads:

<draft text>

Outcomes of Creating a Missing Attribute

A missing attribute provides a practical method of detection,
handling, and repair of missing text alternatives, after a conscious
decision has been made by the author to deliberately publish images
without text alternatives. It would:

* Allow an image without alt text be honestly labeled for it is:
missing, incomplete, lacking substance.
* Affirm that the author did not (and does not intend to) provide a
text alternative.
* Provide a machine checkable mechanism to locate missing alt
text/enable tools to quickly discern where "missing" has been used.
* Afford a practical means to mitigate damages after all else has
failed, allowing for crowdsourcing or metadata repair. AT would be at
liberty apply a crowdsourced definition, to scour image metadata or or
both, since the AT knows that the author didn't apply a text
alternative, it can inform the user as to the potential deficiency in
the located text(s).
* Support ethical accountability by developing and promoting
responsible tools and by advocating an effective enabling environment.

</draft text>

Can anyone not live with that? Ideas for improvement? All input appreciated.

Thanks.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Lcarlson/ImgElement