Re: Candidate TF Resolution: ISSUE-30 longdesc

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:05:18 +0000 (UTC)
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Janina Sajka wrote:

> RESOLUTION: While the HTML-A11Y Task Force prefers the proposal that
> restores longdesc without warning we are prepared to accept the
> alternative proposal at
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/LongdescConformingWithWarning
> to produce a warning (assuming we can agree to warning text)
>
> RATIONALE: In reaching this consensus the Face to Face meeting
> considered and agreed to the following resolutions of principle:
>
>    RESOLUTION: There is a need for some mechanism that supports longer
> descriptions.

That seems uncontroversial.

>    RESOLUTION: People agree to have in page descriptions.

This also.

>    RESOLUTION: Group agrees that we should have out of page
> descriptions, but has concerns about its implementation.

Ok...

>    RESOLUTION: The group wants longdesc to continue in HTML 5.

This seems like a non-sequitur. What's the rationale for this position? It
doesn't seem to follow from the previous ones.

>    RESOLUTION: The group does NOT want longdesc to continue indefinitely
> in future versions of HTML, although some people objected to this
> decision.

Why would we want to drop it in a future version but not this version? It
would be helpful to make clear the criteria under which we would consider
longdesc="" suitable for removal.