Candidate TF Resolution: ISSUE-30 longdesc

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:00:12 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
The HTML-A11Y Task Force Face to Face offers the following candidate
resolution for adoption by the TF. Discussion in email is
welcome--simply reply to this message. This resolution will appear on
our teleconference agenda this Thursday. Also, a WBS survey will shortly
be announced where you may vote on it.

RESOLUTION: While the HTML-A11Y Task Force prefers the proposal that
restores longdesc without warning we are prepared to accept the
alternative proposal at
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/LongdescConformingWithWarning
to produce a warning (assuming we can agree to warning text)

RATIONALE: In reaching this consensus the Face to Face meeting
considered and agreed to the following resolutions of principle:

   RESOLUTION: There is a need for some mechanism that supports longer
descriptions.

   RESOLUTION: People agree to have in page descriptions.

   RESOLUTION: Group agrees that we should have out of page
descriptions, but has concerns about its implementation.

   RESOLUTION: The group wants longdesc to continue in HTML 5.

   RESOLUTION: The group does NOT want longdesc to continue indefinitely
in future versions of HTML, although some people objected to this
decision.

   RESOLUTION: We do want aria-describedby functionality to replace longdesc.

   RESOLUTION: we do not want to ask for a new feature in HTML 5 to
replace longdesc.

   RESOLUTION: We do not want to change aria-describedby to support
descriptions in a separate page in the ARIA 1.0 time frame.

   RESOLUTION: aria-describedby should be enhanced in the ARIA 2.0 time
frame to support external descriptions (out of page).

   RESOLUTION: We can live with a two step process, in which users
follow an aria-describedby reference to a link and then must follow the
link to get the actual description, but we do not prefer it.

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org