Re: CHANGE PROPOSAL: Table Summary

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:23:05 +0000
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, 'Cynthia Shelly' <cyns@microsoft.com>, 'Ian Hickson' <ian@hixie.ch>, 'HTML Accessibility Task Force' <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I think displaying the summary by default on tables in contentEditable
> content is not a good idea. Here are some specific reasons:
>
> 1) In general we try to make the layout and display provide 100% visual
> and layout fidelity in contentEditable regions. We don't want things to
> suddenly change appearance when you convert from editable to not.
>
> 2) Inserting and editing normally-invisible information that lives in
> attributes is normally done by editing toolkits written in JavaScript
> that live on top of contentEditable. For example, if you want to add a
> link and set the URL, then a toolkit like TinyMCE would have an "add
> link" or "edit link" button that you
>
> 3) contentEditable normally just edits text that's in contents, not text
> from attributes. It would require significant work to be able to not
> only display the text from the summary attribute but edit it in place.

I think originally the idea has been floated as a response to the "we
must make @summary visible so all users can benefit from it" argument -
which I think originated from Ian. I am fine with keeping @summary as
hidden meta data - primarily for blind screen reader users. I agree with
your points actually, what is being suggested is by way of an optional
mechanism triggered in the browser that /may/ display @summary if required.

Cheers

Josh