W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > December 2009

RE: Agenda: HTML-A11Y telcon 10 December 2009 at 16:00Z - ARIA-in-HTML5 document-conformance criteria

From: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 23:45:39 +0000
To: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
CC: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
Message-ID: <C7412B925ACA454EADB3B6ECF5B960E80AE52F@TK5EX14MBXC139.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
There are also similar mapping tables in the ARIA User Agent Implementation Guide [1], which deal with mapping ARIA to platform accessibility APIs.  These are closely related work products.  

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-implementation/ 

-----Original Message-----
From: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-a11y-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Michael(tm) Smith
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:32 AM
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force
Cc: Janina Sajka; Michael Cooper
Subject: Agenda: HTML-A11Y telcon 10 December 2009 at 16:00Z - ARIA-in-HTML5 document-conformance criteria

** preliminary agenda for this week's HTML-A11Y telcon **

Meeting: HTML-A11Y telecon
Chair: Michael(tm)_Smith
agenda+ identify scribe
agenda+ review agenda
agenda+ ARIA-in-HTML5 document-conformance criteria reports from TF 
agenda+ Subgroups (Canvas; Video; ...) review open issues next meeting, 
agenda+ confirm date/time, choose scribe any other business

To check for the time of this meeting in your time zone:
  http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=12&day=3&year=2009&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

In regards to the third agenda item above (ARIA-in-HTML5 document-conformance criteria):

1. Terminology. We've used the terms "ARIA mappings" and "ARIA
   integration" in discussions, but I suggest that the precise
   description for what I think we need to make it a priority for
   the HTML-A11Y TF to discuss this week is the specific topic of
   "ARIA-in-HTML5 document conformance criteria".

2. Goal. I think the goal of our discussion of this topic on the
   HTML-A11Y TF telcon this week should be to put together a plan for
   arriving at consensus among the TF members on this question:

     Question: What exact document-conformance criteria should the
     HTML5 specification provide with regard to integration of
     ARIA attributes into the HTML language; including, what ARIA
     attributes should be allowed where, and what specific
     restrictions on use of particular ARIA attributes on
     particular HTML elements should the HTML5 spec provide.

   Note that whatever consensus decision/resolution on that
   question that we produce from the HTML-A11Y TF will not be
   binding on the HTML WG but will be documented and provided to
   the HTML WG chairs and group as a work product of the TF.

3. Documents. In forming the discussion for item #2 above, we have
   two particular instances of concrete text related to
   ARIA-in-HTML5 document conformance that merit special interest:

     A. The "Annotations for assistive technology products (ARIA)"
     section of the HTML5 draft specification:
     http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/embedded-content-0.html#annotations-for-assistive-technology-products-aria

     B. The draft document "Document conformance suggestions for
     ARIA roles and properties in HTML 5" from Steven Faulkner:
     http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/ARIA/html5-elements1.html

If possible, please take time to look at both of those documents prior to the telcon, and be prepared to participate in an informed discussion of them on the call.

I suggest that we take part of the time on the call to look at those two documents together as a group and make some comparisons between them, noting points on which they are currently in conflict and having an initial discussion about what changes should be made to either or both of them.

I suggest also that on the call, we try to set some deadlines for getting resolution on the goal in item #2 above, and for reporting back to the group about this topic.

It may be that discussion of this topic will consume the full hour we have for the call, and so we might not have time to discuss some of the remaining agenda items (reports from TF Subgroups, review of open issues) this week.

  --Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------
General HTML A11Y Task Force Information
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Resource: Task Force Home Page
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Main_Page

Resource: Task Force Work Statement
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/html-task-force.html

** conference infrastructure access information a.k.a. dial-in instructions

Reference: http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar.html#s_273

2009-12-03, 16:00Z (for 60 minutes)
Dial the Zakim bridge at one of the following three telephone numbers:
+1 (617) 761-6200 (This is a USA number).
+33.4.89.06.34.99 (This is a French number)
+44.117.370.6152 (This is a UK number)
You should be prompted for a pass code,
this is
2119#
(A11Y#)

IRC: server: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #html-a11y.

During the conference you can manage your participation with Zakim commands as follows:
   61# to mute yourself
   60# to unMute yourself
   41# to raise your hand (enter speaking queue)
   40# to lower your hand (exit speaking queue)

The system acknowledges these commands with a rapid, three-tone confirmation.  Mobile phone users especially should use the mute function if they don't have a mute function in their phone.  But the hand-raising function is a good idea for anyone not using IRC.

* IRC access

     There will also be an IRC channel available. The server is irc.w3.org,
     the port number is 6665 (note this is not the normal default) and the channel is #html-a11y.

* Gregory Rosmaita's scribing and participation tips http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/Teleconference_cheat_sheet

For more on the IRC setup and the robots we use for agenda and speaker queuing and for posting the log to the web, see:

- for RRSAgent, that captures and posts the log with special attention to action items:
http://www.w3.org/2002/03/RRSAgent

- for Zakim, the IRC interface to the bridge manager, that will maintain speaker and agenda queues:
http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot

- for a Web gateway to IRC you can use if your network administrators forbid IRC, see:
http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc

- for more on W3C use of IRC see:
http://www.w3.org/Project/IRC/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/
Received on Wednesday, 9 December 2009 23:46:23 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:41:57 GMT