Re: [font-metrics-api] Zooming out on font metrics

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:37:00 +0000
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
CC: "public-houdini@w3.org" <public-houdini@w3.org>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
On 8/26/15, 10:43 PM, "Simon Fraser" <smfr@me.com> wrote:

>> Does this classification make sense? Does anyone have additional use cases and/or requirements for any of these categories?
>
>I would like to see some consideration of a font metrics API that would be useful for someone doing text rendering into canvas. From what I can gather, the current API is mostly about CSS-rendered text, but we certainly know of web content that would benefit from having more information about font data, font features, and geometry data.

Yes, I have only been considering CSS-rendered text. I’m assuming enhancements to canvas text apis [1] and/or SVG would happen in parallel, though I think they’re both a bit farther along in extensibility. What we expose in the underlying font data or in the primitives John Daggett is suggesting would probably be shared.

Thanks,

Alan

[1] https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/scripting.html#textmetrics