RE: An argument for bridging information models and ontologies at the syntactic level

hi all,

yes, i also agree that these are great points, except for a quibble.

"Data models like schemas, structures, and data formats are
implementation details"

in Model Driven Architecture (MDA), the Platform Independent Model data
model is free of implementation details.  as a developer who works
primarily with data models, whenever i deal with ontologies, it is at
the implementation level for ontologies.  that is, if i have a
transcript, i wish to know what gene ontology terms it is associated
with so that i can make inferences about other transcripts in regards to
their gene expression under certain conditions.

i also thought it worth mentioning that in the development of the data
model FuGE for functional genomics, we purposely developed the ontology
package so that objects would reference into ontologies cleanly to
maintain the separation in the points below.

cheers,
michael
Michael Miller
Lead Software Developer