Re: An argument for bridging information models and ontologies at the syntactic level

Chimezie, excellent observation.  Agree with principals you are
articulating.

I would add:

1. Data models like schemas, structures, and data formats are implementation
details.
2. Concept models operate at many levels.  As an example, concept models may
represent the entire data model as a concept, or they may point at an
element within a data model as a concept.
3. Different concept models that are unrelated or loosely related may
reference the same data model.
4. Keeping the two (data models and conceptual models) separate allows them
to evolve independently.
5. Pulling out the mapping versus attempting to represent mapping and data
model in conceptual language fits a basic tenant of engineering principals,
that is "loosely coupled modules with highly cohesive functionality".

David, do you like "data model to conceptual mapping" better?

Jim Herber
Independent Consultant
jimherber_at_ gmail.com