Re: Some spec comments (to .xsl or not to .xsl?) (#issue-whichlangs, #issue-conformance-labels)

From: Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:20:29 -0500 (EST)
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
cc: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, "McBride, Brian" <brian.mcbride@hp.com>, GRDDL Working Group <public-grddl-wg@w3.org>

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Should means should; it means do it unless you have some good reason not to.
> If you
> have a good reason to not apply any transformations, then don't. If you have
> a software
> module that never applies any transformations and you claim it's a conforming
> GRDDL-aware agent,
> I don't think whether that claim is true or not has much impact; the market
> will judge
> it harshly in any case.
>
> The conformance label is not so valuable to me that I would object to taking
> it back out...
> ... so long as somebody else did the editing this time. 1/2 ;-)
>
> Is your preference to take out the conformance label? I guess the "1. Find
> each transformation..." list
> would go with it. I think that list is responsive to a number of comments
> that Dave Beckett has made,
> and I'm reluctant to take it out.
>
> Would you leave Jeremy's security stuff in? Or take it out?

At the very least, I think (somewhat similar to Murray's
sentiments) we should elaborate a bit on the second item in the
GRDDL-Aware Agents SHOULD clause:

2. Apply each transformation to obtain a GRDDL result.

To accomodate the uncertainty of policies with regards to this item.  A
suggested rewording:

2. Apply each transformation (with the exception of those excluded by
a local policy) to obtain a GRDDL result

I'd rather this is explicit in SHOULD clause than to leave it up to
interpretation

I would also inclined (less so, than the previous suggestion) to reword
the label definition to:

"A GRDDL-aware agent is a software module that computes GRDDL results of
information resources where the results (and their computation) are
allowed by a local policy."

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery