Re: Comments on GRDDL (using 3rd-party XML schemas with GRDDL) [OK?]

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 10:05:53 -0400
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-grddl-wg <public-grddl-wg@w3.org>

Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 09:26 -0400, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
>
>> I'm replying here since, the changes suggested need to be processed by
>> the WG.
>>

> Quite.
>
> [...]
>
>> I don't follow how the additional provision about schemas identified via
>> out-of-band mechanism adds anything to what we have.  Why add
>> non-normative text about non-normative capabilities that have nothing to
>> do with a GRDDL-aware agent in a specification for GRDDL?
>>
> Because that's what the customer asked for. The Schema/Query WG
> bothered to read our spec, and this seems to be the result.

I do think that reminding the implementers that any non-normative
capabilities are explicitly not supported in the test-cases are not used
is not a unreasonable point to make, especially as its clear that some
users of GRDDL clients like the XSL/XQuery WG really want non-normative
capabilities.
> I share your reservations, and I might have preferred that
> Harry consulting the WG or at least the editor before offering
> text, but now that he did, and now that the customer has said
> they're happy, I suppose I can live with it.

I've been cc'ing the comments list and the editor on the every comment
or suggested change of text. I'm also not too attached to the particular
text I suggested, so if there's any other text changes that people in
the GRDDL WG find preferable, the GRDDL WG can suggest these changes to
XSL/XQuery WG and begin the cycle again.  We'll discuss this in our
telecon today.
> The alternative is to re-open negotiations with the Query WG. They
> seem to be pretty responsive lately, but there's no telling how
> long that could take.

Since we don't have too much more time till Rec, that was one of the
reasons I took initiative on trying to resolve this.

--
		-harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin 6B522426