Re: review of test cases

I am happy with these modifications, except:
- the aboutTests change,
- inclusion of base-detail, superceded by events
- minor aspects of description of #xmlbase3

Also, no approval seems to have been added to the grddl result for
embedded-rdf4.

aboutTests
==========

I'll explain my concerns, and make a suggestion as to achieve both our
goals.

My understanding is that a URI such as

http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl-tests/titleauthor.html

are not part of the WG's intent.

The GRDDL result of the test cases document, when published at

http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl-tests/

will include such a URI; hence this is unsatisfactory.
I also believe that the GRDDL results will be published at
http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl-tests/grddl-tests.rdf
and once again, this should not include relative URIs into
http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl-tests/

If
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/grddl-tests.rdf
is copied as is into the TR directory, we will have such references to
non-resources.

It would be possible to do either of the following:

a) use the aboutTests as modified, but with an
xml:base="http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/"
and then someone wanting to do local testing, can simply delete that base.

b) include the aboutTests as modified as aboutTestsLocal.xsl, and revert
aboutTests.xsl to only give the full URLs

Personally, I think either of these is unnecessary, but I wouldn't mind.

For me, the implementor who is testing against a local copy of the test
material is using a cache, and that is their responsibility and not the
WGs. (a) above, in particular, seems to be making enough allowance for
such an implementor

Suggested change:

<xsl:template match="/">
   <r:RDF>
     <xsl:apply-templates />
   </r:RDF>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="/">
   <r:RDF xml:base="http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/">
   <xsl:comment>If you wish to run the tests using local copies of the
files then it is possible to modify the above xml:base as
appropriate.</xsl:comment>
     <xsl:apply-templates />
   </r:RDF>
</xsl:template>

#xmlbase3
=========
The current text makes the incorrect statement:
[[
The base URI of the document is the target URI of the last redirection step
]]
I suggest the following change
Replace:
[[
The base URI of the document is the target URI of the last redirection
step; after establishing this fact, this test case follows the same
behavior as "An xml document with an xml:base attribute".
]]
with:
[[
The base URI of the document is established by the xml:base on the root
element, as for "An xml document with an xml:base attribute".
]]

base-detail
===========

The text is:
[[
# A transform that does not respect xml:base:
input output

The output of a transform is processed with the retrieval IRI, not that
given by an xml:base.
]]
This text is not consistent with the descriptions and decisions of the
xmlbase and htmlbase tests.

Since we have not approved this test, I suggest simply deleting it.
We may want to review our coverage of the base issues later.

mechanical review
=================

I've run my code, against the new editor's draft (with no modifications
being applied)

The results are:
#base-detail
#embedded-rdf4
these two are not listed as approved.

I got a failure on #base-detail :(
On examination this appears to be a bug in my code - but I haven't
worked out quite what.

Jeremy

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited