[#issue-output-formats] Four options for discussion

Since we've promised to discuss this issue of output formats today[1],
maybe we can clarify some of  our options. Here's how I see some of them,
although I'm sure this is incomplete at best:

1) GRDDL Processors should output only RDF in the RDF/XML concrete syntax.

2) GRDDL Processors should output the RDF/XML concrete syntax and may to
other W3C-recommended concrete syntaxes for RDF.

3) GRDDL Processors should output to a W3C-recommended concrete syntax
for RDF.

4) GRDDL Processors can output to any concrete syntax for RDF.

Also, we should clarify the level of our mandate - i.e. whether we should
use stronger or weaker language that "should" - and so clarify whether
a certain output syntax is recommended or required.

So, for option 1), any GRDDL Processor that produces something besides
RDF/XML (i.e. RDFa or n3) would be going against the recommendation.
However, assuming RDFa or n3 becomes at some point in the future W3C Recs
(which is likely for RDFa), then option 2) would also recommend these,
although we suggest that RDF/XML be preferred if all other things are
equal.  Currently option 3) is the same as option 1) since, well, RDF/XML is the only
W3C-approved syntax, but again this could change in the future - so 3) is
just a less contrained version of 2). 4) is the most unconstrained, as it
allows any person to design their own syntax for RDF (possibly without
publishing their "spec"), and then have their GRDDL output to that syntax
- and still be within the recommendation.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#issue-output-formats

--
 				--harry

 	Harry Halpin