Firefox microsummaries and GRDDL

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:46:27 +0200
To: public-grddl-wg@w3.org

Hi,

I came across the concept of "microsummaries" the other day, a system
being implemented in Firefox that looks close enough to GRDDL to be
worth a mention here:
        Microsummaries are regularly-updated succinct summaries of web
        pages. They are compact enough to fit in the space available to
        a bookmark label, provide more useful information about pages
        than static page titles, and are regularly updated as new
        information becomes available.
        [...]
        Microsummaries can either be provided by the page being
        summarized or generated by processing an XSLT stylesheet against
        the page.
        [...]
        Sites should be able to specify microsummaries by embedding
        metadata referencing microsummary generators into pages. For
        example, a site might embed the following <link> element into an
        HTML page:
    <link rel="microsummary" type="application/x.microsummary+xml" href="/index-microsummary.xml">
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Microsummaries

I don't know if there is any opportunity to collaborate with the Firefox
guys to get them to use some form of GRDDL rather then a new rel/type
magic pair; but if there was, this would be a nice path towards adoption
of GRDDL in a end-user browser...

Dom