Re: Media-types and GRDDL

On 9/5/06, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:

> "GRDDL can use media types of the transformation resource to detect the
> what type of language the transformation uses. For example, if in a
> XHTML document the link element has an href attribute of
> "http://www.example.org/transformation" and this URI returns a document
> with a media type of "application/xslt+xml," GRDDL is licensed to run
> the transformation using XSLT."
>
> Notice I'm intentionally a bit vague about XSLT 1.0 or XSLT 2.0 here.

This bit troubles me a little. Passing an XSLT 2.0 transformation to
an XSLT 1.0 engine will result in an error, right now there doesn't
seem to be an automatic way of preventing this. The alternatives seem
to be either to use a supplementary statement naming the engine
(providing the URI of the XSLT 2.0 namespace?), or more simply to
acknowledge that the process might not work (but there may be
human-readable annotation perhaps offering an explanation for anyone
prepared to go looking).

For this iteration the latter probably makes most sense, it might be
appropriate to state this explicitly in the spec text.

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com