Re: Media-types and GRDDL

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 10:35 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:
>
> > "GRDDL can use media types of the transformation resource to detect the
> > what type of language the transformation uses. For example, if in a
> > XHTML document the link element has an href attribute of
> > "http://www.example.org/transformation" and this URI returns a document
> > with a media type of "application/xslt+xml," GRDDL is licensed to run
> > the transformation using XSLT."
> >
> > Notice I'm intentionally a bit vague about XSLT 1.0 or XSLT 2.0 here.
>
> This bit troubles me a little. Passing an XSLT 2.0 transformation to
> an XSLT 1.0 engine will result in an error,

Really? Did you get that from a spec or from experience? I'd like
to think there's some forward compatibility.

It certainly seems like a good thing to test in our test suite.

>  right now there doesn't
> seem to be an automatic way of preventing this. The alternatives seem
> to be either to use a supplementary statement naming the engine
> (providing the URI of the XSLT 2.0 namespace?), or more simply to
> acknowledge that the process might not work (but there may be
> human-readable annotation perhaps offering an explanation for anyone
> prepared to go looking).
>
> For this iteration the latter probably makes most sense, it might be
> appropriate to state this explicitly in the spec text.

In case that's a Britishly-encoded request ("Dan, please add some text")
then my answer is, as usual: if you think it's important, please
suggest some specific text.