Re: XInclude Open Issue

Ugh.. an XSLT extension-based implementation of XInclude - which relies
on exsl:function no less.  Not very portable.  My thoughts
are that it doesn't address the issue since the solution is XSLT
implementation dependent.  If the spec is meant to give guidance on this
sort of thing I would think it would make better sense to propose that
in the absense of a pipeline language, the implementation can do
what it wishes (some implementations *will* be able to resolve XIncludes
without prompting, *before* applying an XSLT transform).  Otherwise, a
pipeline can be explicit about the XML processing.

Consider an XML parser and XSLT implementation that already handles
XInclusion by default, explicitely implementing the XInclude resolution in
this way would clash with such a scenario as there will be no way for the
nominated transform to determine if the XIncludes had been expanded
already.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Murray Maloney wrote:

> I understood that one could not do XInclude processing in an XSLT
> Transformation.
> I received this pointer from a member of the XML Proc WG. Does this address
> the open issue?
>

> http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/include.html#d11058e170

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst