Re: fixed GRDDL formal rules... (and spec#issue-tx-element)

On Nov 8, 2006, at 6:19 AM, Danny Ayers wrote:
[...]
> Take for example XHTML used as Atom content. If XHTML has a GRDDL
> profile defined, but Atom doesn't, then any embedded RDF is
> unreachable. If Atom does have a profile, and its desirable to make
> the XHTML-encoded RDF available, based on the root element namespace
> mechanism then unless I'm missing something there would need to be an
> additional mechanism to enable further nose-following to get to the
> XHTML transformations from the Atom definition.

Indeed. This is what I've called issue-tx-element
http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#issue-tx-element

"issue-tx-element: is there a way to push the grddl:transformation
attribute down from the document element to individual elements without
breaking the chain of authority? See RDF in parts of XHTML documents 09
Mar 2004 and discussion of trackback in an 18 March message."

This issue has been around for a couple years and I haven't seen any
designs that
address it, so I don't expect us to come up with anything.

The only way I can see to embed RDF in XHTML in Atom is something like
RDFa,
i.e. changing the specification of HTML.

>  (It's not possible for
> the Atom profile to reference every possible content type, any
> namespaced XML can go in).

On the flip side, it's not sound to ignore containing elements...

"A naive approach is to say that RDF/XML has its usual meaning wherever
it appears in any XML document. But that would conflict with the
existing practice using RDF/XML in XSLT templates, not to mention
futures any future practice of quoting, quantifying, refuting, or
commenting on embedded RDF expressions."
  -- http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/specbg.html

See also TAG issue
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html?type=1#xmlFunctions-34
XML Transformation and composability (e.g., XSLT, XInclude, Encryption)
raised on 6 Feb 2003